Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ways to Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude

Susie Cortright, the founder of the online magazine Momscape offers five tips on creating an attitude of gratitude.

  • Choose your friends wisely by associating with people who are spiritually strong, supportive, empowering, intelligent, energetic and positive.
  • Day by day hour by hour make it a goal to stop complaining.
  • Give the gift of gratitude by being a model, to help others be satisfied with the small things.
  • Say thank you to all the people you appreciate, it will remind you of all the things other people do for you.
  • Be mindful of the little things and give thanks for the beauty that surrounds us.

__________________________________

I've read a lot of self-help books (I need a lot of help trust me), and one interesting and potentially valuable things I've run across is a positive self-affirming statement I found in a book by Zig Ziglar. He suggested you tape this to your mirror and read it every morning.

"I am a person of integrity with a good positive, “Gosh!” attitude and specific goals. I have a high energy level, am enthusiastic, and take pride in my appearance and what I do. I have a sense of humor, lots of faith, wisdom, and the vision, empathy, and courage to use my talents effectively. I have character and am knowledgeable. My convictions are strong, and I have a healthy self-image, a passion for what is right, and a solid hope for the future.

I am an honest, sincere, hardworking person. I am tough but fair and sensitive. I’m disciplined, motivated and focused. I am a good listener and patient, but take decisive action. I am bold, authoritative, and confident, yet humble. I am an encourager, a good-finder, an excellent communicator, and I am developing winning habits. I am loving, caring, gentle and kind, and I am a student, a teacher, and a self-starter. I have a servant’s heart and self-control. I am ambitious, cheerful, courteous, respectful, compassionate and a team player. I am personable, optimistic and organized. I am consistent, considerate, generous, and resourceful. I am intelligent, persistent, and creative. I am health-conscious, balanced and sober. I am flexible, punctual, thrifty, and diligent.

I am a giving, forgiving, personable, friendly, unselfish, mannerly, neat, obedient good-finder who does my best at whatever I do. I am also a versatile, curious, mature, action-oriented person who responds to life’s challenges, and I have a strong desire to succeed in all areas of life.

I am a prudent, honorable person, and I run my life with integrity and discernment. I am truly grateful for the opportunity life has given me. These are the qualities of the winner I was born to be, and I am fully committed to develop these marvelous qualities with which I have been entrusted. I know that by doing this I will be happier, healthier, more prosperous, and more secure. I will also have more peace of mind, more friends, better family relationships, and more hope for a better future.

These are the qualities of the winner I was born to be. Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and it’s going to be wonderful.

Tonight I’m going to sleep wonderfully well. I will dream powerful, positive dreams. I will awaken energized and refreshed, and tomorrow’s going to be magnificent!"

Source: Zig Ziglar


Here's a link to a PDF copy if you'd like to print a copy of the self affirmation.