Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mystery Mushrooms

I have a fig tree in a fairly large pot near where I work on my computer. A couple of days ago I added some potting soil and watered it well. Yesterday there were several large mushrooms growing in the soil.

For some reason they seemed pretty scary to me. They just seemed...alien.

B thought I was playing a joke and had stuck something in the pot. It's amazing how fast they grew and weird that they were growing in this sunny room (or anywhere inside the house for that matter). My guess is that the spores drifted into the soil when I had the pot outside last summer, and then when I added the fresh potting soil they had the dark moist environment they needed to grow.

My irrational fear of these mushrooms reminds me of the time our Bichon Baily was afraid of a big pile of dirt that was beside a neighbors house when we would walk by it. It was just out of place to him I guess.

I took a fork (because I didn't want to touch them) and a plastic bag and got rid of the mushrooms this morning. It was pretty scary.