Friday, June 15, 2007

Least Populated County in the Lower 48

National Geographic has a short article on the city of Mentone, located in Loving County, Texas.

From the article -

"Mentone (population 15, more or less) is the county seat of Loving County, Texas. It’s also the only town in Loving County, the least populated county in the 48 contiguous United States. You can drive through Mentone in 12 seconds flat and not even stretch the speed limit. You pass the post office and the Boot Track Cafe on the left, the courthouse and a gas station on the right. You’ve left the town behind; sand and prickly scrub lie ahead. The terrain is griddle flat; on a clear day, which is almost always, you can see the Davis Mountains 75 miles (121 kilometers) to the southwest."


I don't know if it comes from growing up in Montana or if it's something in my genetic makeup, but I sometimes really yearn for the wide open spaces. I would like to take a trip to that spacious part of Texas. I have no idea what I'd do after I got out there - which sounds like my kind of vacation.

__________________________


Asleep at the Wheel – Miles And Miles Of Texas