Sunday, June 24, 2007

Austin City Limits and Lak Shme Sing - But I Thought...

If you've ever wondered where Austin City Limits is taped, here's an interesting factoid from KLRU, the Austin PBS station that produces the show -

"According to the mythology, Austin City Limits is taped on an Austin hillside above the city. In reality, the show is recorded in a KLRU television studio located on the University of Texas campus. The studio is located on the 6th floor of the U.T. Communications Building B. The famous skyline set, based on a photograph of the city taken from south Austin, debuted in 1982 for Season 7 and has remained the series' backdrop ever since."

I almost wish I hadn't found that out.

I always thought Austin City Limits was taped outside and while I watched liked to think about what the temperature was, if those were pecan trees in the background...how many stars were out.

__________________________________


Slightly less distressing, than finding out Austin City Limits is filmed in a studio, but still a bit disconcerting - is the dream I had that I met the NPR reporter whose name sounds like - Lak Shme Sing.

I have no idea why I had that dream...other than I like hearing her say her name on NPR. Every time I hear her say her name I like to repeat it a few times.

I had assumed, based on the way her name sounds, that she was an Asian woman - and had formed a vague mental image of her.

It wasn't a very interesting dream - I met an Asian woman and we were talking about something, and she casually mentioned she was Lak Shme Sing. I can't be sure but I think in my dream she looked like the Korean guy from Mad TV...it was kind of fuzzy.

I mentioned the dream to B and she said she thought it would be interesting if the person in my dream actually looked like the NPR reporter. I did some Googling and found that's not the case, I didn't even have her name right - it's Lakshmi Singh

It's interesting when we form an image of a person based on their voice, and in this case name, and then when we see that person find out our mental image was off the mark. I've done that before with people I've talked to on the phone.

It's okay - I don't care what she looks like, I just like the way her name sounds...ditto for Alejandro Escovedo, or like Buddy says in the movie Elf about the name Francisco,

"Francisco! That's fun to say! Francisco... Frannncisco... Franciscooo..."

Getting over the Austin City Limits thing is going to be a little harder.