Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Air Bowl Lanes - Columbus Montana


Bowl
Originally uploaded by richpix .
Cool sign.

I got an email from a fellow Flikr member asking me if I might know what those small tepee-like symbols were on the fins of the rocket. I think I do, so I wrote back to him in the comment section of the photo.

It's a small world on the internet. I don't know how he thought to ask me.

I worked at the Air Bowl at various jobs when I was a kid, and as a young adult - as a shoe rental person, score-keeper, pin machine un-sticker, lane sweeper, janitor, cook and bartender.

It was called the Air Bowl because it was at the airport.

I was a bit sorry to read that this sign was taken down. I have quite a few memories of the good old Air Bowl.

Mostly pretty good - some pretty wild - I'll never forget the look on that elderly waitresses face when me and another person who shall remain anonymous (who was driving) were spinning donuts in the snowy parking lot late one night. The cafe was closed but the lights were on and she was wiping up. A little too much gas and the pickup hopped over the logs that were used for parking rails and crashed through the window. Luckily no one was hurt.

Small town Saturday night - wooo hooo!