Friday, August 25, 2006

Unitarian Universalist

I've enjoyed reading the sermon's from Rev. Bruce Davis of the Evergreen Unitarian Universalist fellowship located at 1607 Fourth Street, Marysville, Washington.

There are some very appealing things in the Unitarian's beliefs. It's philosophy centered on the search for meaning - absent the creeds, dogma and fundamentalism that have led to violence, pain, suffering and injustice.

The Unitarian Universalist Principles and Values are -

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person.
* Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations.
* Acceptance of each other and encouragement to spiritual growth.
* The free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
* The right of conscience and the use of democratic process.
* The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all.
* The interdependent web of existence, of which we are part.

Unitarian Universalist's draw inspiration from many sources...

1. Words and deeds of prophetic women and men
2. Wisdom from the world's religions that inspire us in our ethical and spiritual life
3. Jewish and Christian teachings
4. Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason
5. Earth centered and indigenous spiritualities

...to further experience the mystery and wonder in our lives that is affirmed in all cultures of the world.

_______________________________________

I stumbled on that Unitarian site because I was pondering the trinity in an innocent and naive way. Wondering...wondering always wondering.

For the theologically inclined - there are trinitarians and non-trinitarians (the non-trinitarians...end up being labeled non-Christians, which is the category that Unitarians fall in).

I'm drawn to the idea that there is no "other". That it/we are one.

The idea that there is no duality works for me in this world - in the sense that I can say we are all, at some level, the same. If I extend that oneness into the spiritual realm then you and I become an extension of the unnamed source (in some traditions referred to as God). A Christian might say he or she is a child of God...but for me to say we are an extension (a part) of that unnamed source (may be God), borders on heresy for some.

I can't believe that it's as simple as people who aren't "saved", don't know Jesus as their saviour, are bound for hell...or for that matter that people who are "saved" are bound for heaven. It all depends on what you mean by saved I imagine.

In any event - we are limited by our language in what is expressible...and I could try and write a thousand or ten thousand words and not come close to a coherent description of my personal faith and spirituality - assuming it is coherent. I love to read and think - and I'm both attracted to, and repelled by, simple stories, that are found in the Bible. I'm also attracted to the idea that what I think are simple stories are anything but...

Whatever is going on here - It's a multidimensional mystery. For my little piece I'm glad to be able to hold that mystery in tension, keep an open mind, not-know and try to let the many many beautiful people, natural things, ideas - flow through me (hoping a few stay for awhile) and continue on a path toward greater enlightenment, compassion and love for all creatures.

I think if we stayed with the Golden Rule that we love ourselves and share that love with one another, we won't stray too far.

One last thing before I drift off to bed....

I was listening to a Rabbi talk this weekend, about spiritual chants etc., and in sort of an off the cuff remark he said the song "Row Row Row Your Boat" is one of the most spiritual songs we could find. I've often thought that myself...

life is but a dream.