Sunday, September 25, 2005

Root Soup, Red Rice, Chantrelles and Iced Coffee


Root soup


It's done now

I had a great day; going to the farmer's market, and local produce market, looking for ingredients for a root soup, and then cooking it.

I sauteed garlic, shallots and onion in a light olive oil. Added nutritional yeast and -

Small young finger potatoes
Orange Carrots
Yellow Carrots
Rutabagas
Red Beets
Red and White Beets (the tie dyed beets in the picture)
Turnips
Red Onion
Fresh Tomatoes
Two cans diced tomatoes
Salt
Pepper
A little pepper sauce
Fresh sweet red pepper (not too much since this is a root soup)

After it had cooked for several hours I used a hand blender to blend it to a thick consistency, while still leaving some whole vegetables. I has a really good flavor and it's good for you. A good warming soup for the cold fall nights.

Plus, I got to use my big stockpot -




and I have root soup for a few days -




____________________________________


I was a little leary of using the red beets because I knew they would turn the whole soup red, so I cooked them separately and drained the water off. The red beets are pretty sweet, if you taste them alone (reminds me of a sugar beet). I cooked some brown rice in the red beet juice and topped it with a little sugar as a dessert. Not too bad...and the rice looked cool.

____________________________________


I ran across some really nice chanterelle mushrooms while I was looking for roots. Those are my favorite mushrooms today. They had pieces of the forest (pine needles, grass, dirt) stuck to them, to remind me where they came from. I'm not a cook who believes in "not washing mushrooms" though, so I rinsed the forest residue/dirt off.

I sauteed them in light olive oil flavored with a little garlic and shallot and served them on crunchy slices of toast.

Soooooo good.

Topped it off with a nice blended cold coffee drink.

Here's a picture of some Chantrelles at home in the forest I found at the Western Carolina University Helen Patton Environmental Research Center


Chantrelle