Friday, September 30, 2005

Recycle Camp

I received an invitation from Blue, the person who runs the recycle camp at Black Rock City, this morning. It's an offer to volunteer to crush aluminum cans and put them in bags. It sounds like it might be right up my alley.

They donate the proceeds to the Gerlach school so it's for a good cause.

I did a fair amount of free-lance recycling at Black Rock City this year. Walking/riding around the playa is like beachcombing, you can find a lot of shiny or otherwise interesting looking stuff...or just pieces of trash to pick up. I used the coolest items to decorate my bike and carried the rest away in my car.

I sort of wished I hadn't picked up that 2 1/2 gallon plastic kerosene bottle after it started to heat up and fill the car with the smell of kerosene. Luckily there was a specially designated dumpster in a small town not too far north where I could dispose of it.