Thursday, August 19, 2004

Laurie Anderson's Coming and We're Going to See Natalie Merchant

NASA Artist in Residence Laurie Anderson

I get to go see Laurie Anderson in Seattle. Really excited (which for me means I'm awake). She's been one of my favourite artists for some time. The album Big Science is fun to listen to. I love the song Let X = X

Lots of good songs on that album.

Laurie Anderson once did a street performance in NYC playing a violin, while wearing ice skates on a small block of ice. When the ice melted the show was over.

She's Lou Reed's paramour (not sure what that means..but I read it somewhere).

She also worked with some folks to design a musical instrument called a Talking Stick that emits sound when touched.

-----------------------------------------

I'm also excited because Saturday I get to go see Natalie Merchant in Marymoor Park. Well I'm probably not going to just go see her, at least judging from the looks of this page showing a concert at Marymoor.

I hope I'm not the guy in that picture at Marymoor that's about a mile from the stage. Whatever. One time I went to an Allman Brothers concert in the Metrodome in Minneapolis. A friend had gotten us tickets and we were all excited because we thought they would be close in. They were on the very top row as far away from the stage as you could get. The good part was we sat with some friendly people who shared some Minnesota ditch weed and a big bag of miniature chocolate bars. The music was plenty loud and it was fun to sit up there with those peace filled people.

The album In My Tribe is so great. Runs the gamut from very sad/tragic "What's the Matter Here?" to the fun (and maybe sort of sad too) "Hey Jack Kerouac".

It will be interesting to see her perform solo...or rather without the band that made up the 10,000 Maniacs. I love to see her dance and sing when I've seen her on television. I can hardly wait. It's going to be cool.

-------------------------------------------