Saturday, July 17, 2004

Waiting For Godot - "Oh That's Nice" Joke - Florida Town's Juvenile Delinquent is 56 - Grilled Cyprus Cheese Halloumi



I'm hanging with my self waiting for Godot. Saw that play years ago with my mom. Don't know what it means...but I've sort of condensed it into a simple form where "waiting for Godot" means doing nothing, just living, and waiting for God. It's almost 2 am. here at Cafe Jack's; not much else to do.

I'd go see that play again. Reading the dialogue doesn't work so good. You have to watch and listen to kind of get into it.


Here's a link to a brief biography of Samuel Beckett (1906-1989). He doesn't look like a barrel of laughs, at least in the picture they put on that page. Looks like a mug shot or one of my Driver's license photo's. I guess I shouldn't be so superficial. Sounds like he had a hard go of it in some ways. Sort of interesting to think about talent and adversity? Not sure of the right word. The idea that genius (in anything maybe) borders on insanity. I remember many moons ago in a Philosophy class I got into a minor squabble with a fellow student about the inadvisability of "curing" people of some pyschological "ailments".

Samuel Beckett probably could get a psychologist to talk to and a scrip for Prozac now but we wouldn't have any of his work. Part of my ongoing theme to justify my own crazy behaviour I guess.

God I wish I was insaner some times thinking about the old It's Five O'Clock Somewhere mentality. You smooth out all the bumps and end up with a life that's the equivalent of a drive across North Dakota. No thank you very much.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard a joke from a guy at lunch a couple of days ago. It came up because a friend was kidding me that I needed to go to charm school because so many people who work in my area are leaving(moving, retiring, getting new jobs).

It's better if you say it than read it, and you can make it up as you go along, but the gist of it is that two elderly women are talking. (You have to imagine Maxine has a really sweet voice.)

Maxine asks, "Well Josephine what did you do this summer?"
Josephine says, "My son bought me a new Cadillac."
Maxine says, "Oh that's nice."
Josephine goes on to say, "And my boyfriend bought me a 2 carat diamond ring."
Maxine says, "Oh that's nice."
Josphine says, "I got a letter from the mayor and he asked me to lead the 4th of July parade."
Maxine says, "Oh that's nice."
Josephine says, "My daughter had a baby and it was picked as cutest baby of the year by the local newspaper."
Maxine says, "Oh that's nice."
Josephine keeps going with all the incredible and wonderful things that have happened to her over the summer...finally she takes a breath and says, "So what have you been up to Maxine?"

Maxine says, "I went to Charm School this summer."
Josephine says, "Oh really what did you learn?"

Maxine replies, "Well now instead of saying "bullshit", I just say -

"Oh that's nice."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sotiris my co-worker from Cyprus left this week. We'll miss him. It's great to have some young (in this case mid-20's) people around. The average age where I work now is about 50. I was reading about a town in Florida where the youngest person was 56. I was thinking I could move there and be a juvenile delinquent again. It didn't sound like that great a place though...they didn't let dogs live there and who the hell would just want to be around people your own age all the time?

He's going to head down the coast to California, then over to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and finally back to Cyprus. First part driving...second part on an airplane.

One thing he introduced us to was grilled cheese, not the usual Cafe Jack grilled Velveeta or Kraft (not to imply that isn't good) but real grilled cheese. The secret ingrediant in this case is a cheese made in Cyprus called Halloumi. Here's a link describing the cheese Cypriot Cheese. Pretty simple; just put it on the BBQ and when it's ready serve on Pita with sliced tomato and maybe some kind of yogurt based dressing.

I think the one you might want is the Tzatziki, made with yogurt, garlic, and cucumber.


This article mentions some healthy eating in Greek, Indian, and Japanese restaurants.

Sotiris got his pita and cheese from a local bakery called the Pita King.

Speaking of Middle Eastern food, My sister took me to the Falafel King in San Francisco and it was some good eats. I'd like to try and make some Falafel sometime. Or maybe go to this place to try it Dinner Site Restaurant Guide Jerusalem: restaurant Maoz


----------------------------------------------

All that talk about healthy food makes me think I'd like to try one of these fried bologna sandwiches.

This one sounds good too (more work though) Food Network: BBQ Bologna Sandwich.


----------------------------------------------

Take care of yourself. Don't take any wooden nickels. Don't look any gift horses in the mouth and whatever you do don't pay any attention to people who say don't.

I need to hit the hay. I wonder what it means to look a gift horse in the mouth? Does it mean you don't trust the gift giver so you are checking the horses teeth to see if it's healthy? I wish my wife was around she loves it when I bring up those kinds of questions :-)

------------------------------------------------
I wet myself at work today.

It's part of getting older don't you know.

Actually I spilled a can of pepsi on my pants when I picked up the phone and snagged the can with the cord. Luckily for me I had on some khakis and it was a diet coke...so once it dried it was fine. It was good for a few laughs anyway. About the not so pleasant thought of me (an old fat guy) sitting pantless at work, or if anyone would notice..etc.

I'm rambling, but have you heard the term "heavy breathers" used at all where you work? I've heard a couple of people at work use that term in conversation. One time as a reference to high-powered executives and the other as an apparent reference to smart people. As in "we don't get paid to make those types of decisions that's left to the heavy breathers." or "Jim's not sure how he can complete the technical part of the project since all the heavy breathers have moved to new jobs."

I don't get it, and since my wife is gone I have to ask people I work with if they get it. The best we could come up with was http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/heavy+breather

When I got that definition from my buddy, a couple of cubes over, on email...I had to reply to him that I laughed so hard I wet my pants (so the pepsi spillage fit right into my day).

anyway...have a good weekend. Buy some flowers, take some deep breaths...and relax.