Saturday, June 19, 2004

Cool Tips for Hot Days

Cool Tips for Hot Days

I was out working in my yard today and it's in the mid 80's which is pretty hot for the Pacific Northwest. It's a little humid too since we've had some rain in the last few days.

I was using a dampened bandana tied around my neck and wearing a cap, to keep cool, which worked pretty good.

I tried putting the bandana in the freezer for a few minutes and that felt good. Later I soaked my cap and put that in the freezer. That was a super-cooler. It almost felt like that brain freeze you get when you drink a slurpee too fast. I got the picture below from this site My Slurpee Cup



I was in a steam/sauna in the Cascade Mountains one winter and the snow outside was 3 -4 feet deep. We took hot saunas and then jumped into the snow. I have one piece of advice if you take a sauna and then jump in the snow, "don't go head first." You'll get a major brain freeze. Better to do a back fall and make an angel, or just a quick roll around. Feels so good....then jump back into the sauna. You'll have nice healthy skin and feel really refreshed.

We have a wood-fired sauna in Minnesota on a lake we go to in the summer. It's about my favorite thing to do...get hot in the sauna and then jump in the lake. It's a great way to get over a little hangover or just pump up your circulation.

I hope all the fathers out there are having a good father's day eve today and a great father's day tomorrow. Just think what a good father you are to have such great kids. We are so lucky.

Have you ever had a really good massage? Maybe that would make a nice father's day gift? The best massage I ever had was in Singapore. A woman walked on my back and used her feet and hands to rub the tension out of my muscles; it felt just great. I've never had one close to that one. Here's a description of that type of massage at a spa in Bali Balinesian Spa Massage: "Jalan-Jalan The Indonesian Massage"....sounds marvelous darling.


One thing they didn't quite have down in the place I stayed in Singapore was how to build a Suana. A good sauna temperature is in the 170-190 degree F. range. Any metal objects are going to be real hot and might burn you a little. In the Singapore sauna they hadn't countersunk the nails used on the benches...whoops and ouch.

One time I had a moment of panic in a steam bath at the Butte Y. I was all by myself and the steam bath was hot. I went to the door and pushed it to open and it was stuck. I had a moment of thinking...did they maybe not know anyone was here and lock the door. After a few scared seconds I realized the door opened inward.

One last steam bath story...I went to the Elks club with a guy and his sons one time. At this Elks the tradition was to swim and steam naked. I'm not sure why. I've never been much of a naturalist myself. I kind of like seeing people with their clothes on most of the time I guess. Particularly extra chubby middle aged guys like that friend and me.

Have you ever looked at the Duckboy series of Postcards from Montana? Here's a link Duckboy Western Postcards: humor western jokes black and white photographs

I used to have the Montana Double Date picture at work years ago



I think it's politically correct to have things like that at work as long as I'm poking fun at my self being a native Montanan. It's strange how careful we have to be to not accidently disrepect anyone in our work environment. I really think it's important to be able to laugh at yourself. I don't think any racist or predjudiced jokes are funny but I do like to laugh and joke about anything we can. Lifes way to short to take yourself and others too seriously.

For my money a sense of humor and ability to see the absurd and laugh at things is right up on the top of qualities I would want in a friend. I love to laugh and try to make people laugh.

I hope you have some good laughs today. Good thoughts to all the fathers and families celebrating father's tomorrow.

Peace to you and yours and have a wonderful Sunday. Take a day of rest and relaxation, you deserve it.