Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Personal v. Private Life - Hot Milk and Heidi's Melted Cheese on Toast For When You Can't Sleep

Good morning to you. Couldn't sleep either eh? Can I get you a cup of warm milk? Maybe some toast with melted cheese ala Heidi in the Swiss Alps?

  • Heidi Toasted Cheese


  • I've been thinking this morning while I was wiping down the counter. One thing that I can't quite put down is famous people who have married their first cousins. Have you ever thought about that?

    Have you ever known anyone who married a cousin? First or otherwise? I can't think of anyone. Sometimes my family introduces me as Cousin Jack twice removed or something but never had any of them express an interest in marrying me or vice versa.

    What brings this up you ask? Yesterday Business Week ran an article about the recently deposed CEO of the Boeing Company. In the article it says that he had been married four times....once to his first cousin. I was trying to think who else I was aware of who had married a cousin and the only other person who came to mind was Jerry Lee Lewis who married his thirteen year old cousin.

    The Business Week article is a hatchet job but has some fairly bizarre quotes about this powerful man. Makes me think he ticked some people off and now that he's on a downhill slide they are piling on. One quote has someone saying, "we have another Bill Clinton on our hands." Which brings up another point for me.

    What about the idea that whatever your personal life foibles may be they have no bearing on your work? Whether you are president or CEO or whatever your job is...it should be separate from your secretarial love affairs, intern cigar episodes, multiple divorces etc etc etc?

    I think not.

    You cannot separate what you do in one area of life from another. Think about it. It's not bad on it's own that you were married and divorced four times. If you were honorable and didn't cheat and decided to go your separate ways with four women you were married to....heh more power to you both. The truth is more likely something else and you are what we refer to in the vernacular as "a jerk" or sometimes "a jackass". That doesn't mean you couldn't be one heck of a successful person I guess...funny how we think of success.

    So I'll get off my little soap box and fix you that

    Cup of Hot Milk and Heidi's Melted Cheese on Toast Can't Sleep Snack

    It's funny how pieces of stories you read stick in your mind. When I was little I had a book where Heidi was visiting her grandfather (Heidi is a little Swiss girl). It's cold outside and the grandfather fixes little Heidi some melted cheese on toast that he cooks over a fire. I'll make that for you now.

    Microwave a cup of milk (or heat in sauce pan)
    Add salt and pepper
    Make some toast (over a fire if you have one)
    Put some good cheese on it (I just used some pepperjack...but some good soft cheese would be nice)

    Enjoy....think about being in the Swiss Alps with your nice old grandpa...with the wind howling outside and you are in your cozy warm little chalet sitting in front of the fire.

    Good night now.

    Just