Sunday, June 09, 2019

A Comedy Podcast About the Environment

Stories and reports about the environment can be overwhelming, foster a sense of hopelessness, anger, fear and or depression.

I recently ran across a British podcast called Sustainababble hosted by two young men who have created a "comedy podcast about the environment" or as they also describe it, "a podcast about the environment, for and by the confused."

I've only listened to this podcast so far but I like the idea of dealing with serious things with humor.

One of the guys says he's kind of bummed out because so many people are now accepting that climate change, environmental and ecological degradation are real, urgent and human caused. He says he had always had a glimmer of hope that since there were so many deniers that maybe they were right and we can just carry on with business as usual...but now with a more general consensus and so many damning reports coming out that he can't hold onto that hope any longer (my words not his) but that's the gist of it. I think he is voicing a fairly universal feeling.

In any case I found the podcast quite entertaining and refreshing. I don't know if this is true but it seems to me that in some circumstances one of the few things we have left is the ability to laugh and help others to laugh too.