Thursday, May 07, 2009

Insomnia - Not to Worry

It's almost 4 in the morning and I'm about ready to go to bed - again. I slept for a couple of hours early tonight. I've never been much for sleeping. Naps sure - but going to bed and staying in bed for extended periods just doesn't really work for me. There's always something more interesting to do.

Usually I go to sleep reading or with the TV or the radio on, because I want to get the last bit of being awake in before I drift off. Lately my awake time at night isn't as productive as it once was when I'd spend that time reading and writing, now I tend to spend time fiddling around and not really accomplishing anything...and then all of a sudden it's 4 in the morning. That goes in cycles though - sometimes I'm studying something or writing or working.

There's something really appealing to me about the early morning hours, whether I'm in the outdoors, in a city or just sitting by myself - maybe the Edward Hopper painting Nighthawks touches on that early morning vibe. Some people think that painting is gloomy - I think it looks interesting; I'd like to be sitting there drinking a cup of coffee - with my laptop and a good wifi signal of course.