Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Why I Wouldn't Vote For Myself

Groucho Marx and later Woody Allen both said, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

That's how I feel when the VP candidate says she's just a regular old Joe six-pack who thinks it's time for one of us Joe six-packs to become vice-president.

I consider myself a Joe six-pack, but I don't want somebody like me to be president or vice-president.

I want somebody who understands history, reads newspapers and magazines, can name and talk about Supreme Court cases they feel strongly about, someone who knows more than I do about politics, the world and the people in it - someone who is smarter than I am.

I want someone who can speak well and articulate ideas using good diction. I want someone who has enough knowledge in a wide variety of areas, to be able to hold their own when surrounded by people who want to tell them how to think.

I want someone who can move beyond partisan bickering, blaming and name calling - and help foster the free exchange of ideas between conservatives and liberals, Democrats and Republicans so we can work together to develop policies that are best for our country.

I want someone who knew they wanted to be a political leader and did the prerequisite things to prepare - years in advance....not a cram session 3 days before a debate.

In America, any child can grow up to be president, but we don't just pick some regular old Joe six-pack and stick them next in line to be president.

This is the quote from Sarah Palin's radio interview, full transcript at Townhall.com::Blog:

"Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it, but it’s motivation for John McCain and I to work that much harder to make sure that our ticket is victorious, and we put government back on the side of the people of Joe six-pack like me, and we start doing those things that are expected of our government, and we get rid of corruption, and we commit to the reform that is not only desired, but is deserved by Americans."


I suppose there are people who are "out of sorts and ticked off" that John McCain would be so reckless as to choose six pack Sarah as a running mate. The upside is the chance that he will win the election is getting less likely every day.