Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Patriotic Songs From The Library of Congress

The Library of Congress Performing Arts Encyclopedia has a selection of Patriotic Melodies available in mp3 or real audio format, with the historical background of each song and in some cases the sheet music.

The site says,
"These are songs that have now become part of the American national heritage. A combination of hymns, national songs, music of the theater, radio and television, military themes, and poetry, all of this music demonstrates that while over history many things have changed, this expression of pride and hope remain a constant part of the American experience."

The songs include -

* America the Beautiful
* Anchors Aweigh
* The Army Goes Rolling Along
* Battle Hymn of the Republic
* Columbia the Gem of the Ocean
* Eternal Father, Strong to Save
* Fanfare for the Common Man
* God Bless America
* Hail Columbia
* Hail to the Chief
* I'll Be Home for Christmas
* Library of Congress March
* Marines' Hymn
* My Country 'Tis of Thee
* Of Thee I Sing
* Over There
* Semper Paratus
* Star Spangled Banner
* Stars and Stripes Forever
* This Land is Your Land
* This is My Country
* U.S. Air Force Song
* When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again
* Yankee Doodle
* The Yankee Doodle Boy
* Victory at Sea
* You're a Grand Old Flag

It's touching to imagine the circumstances surrounding people as they listened to songs, like "I'll Be Home For Christmas" sung by Bing Crosby, or Aaron Copland's "Fanfare For The Common Man" in 1943 - the height of World War II.

Woody Guthrie wrote "This Land is Your Land" in 1940 near the end of the Great Depression. According to the site he wrote the song, "...in reaction to Irving Berlin's song "God Bless America." Guthrie heard Berlin's song repeatedly while he traveled cross-country and became increasingly annoyed that it glossed over the lop-sided distribution of land and wealth that he was observing and had experienced as a child."

I love a lot of these songs and I appreciate the fact that "patriotic" songs can range from "God Bless America" to Woody Guthrie's song proclaiming -

Nobody living can ever stop me
As I go walking my Freedom Highway
Nobody living can make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.