Saturday, March 22, 2008

Seitan, Quinoa and Burmese Tofu

I've wanted to try some different sources of protein lately so I've tried cooking with Seitan and Quinoa.

Seitan is another name for wheat gluten and is also sometimes called "wheat meat". It's made by washing the starch out of wheat flour, which results in a high protein, chewy-textured food that is almost flavourless - but good for absorbing flavors of whatever it's cooked with. I didn't make my own, but the traditionally-seasoned White Wave Seitan in the blue box worked fine, plus it was on sale for $2.39.

Quinoa pronounced keen-wah, is not a true cereal grain, but rather the botanical fruit of a species of goosefoot. Quinoa is high in protein, gluten-free and can be cooked in 20 minutes or so. It's similar to cooking rice, but be sure and rinse it well to remove any of the soapy tasting - saponins that might still be present.

This article by Nicole Spiridakis on NPR says of Quinoa -
"What was a sacred crop to the Incas has been classified as a "super crop" by the United Nations because of its high protein content. It is a complete protein, which means it has all nine essential amino acids. It also contains the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair, and is a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous."
I haven't had a chance to try Burmese Tofu yet. It's made from chickpea flour, and looks like something that would be pretty easy to concoct at home; although I'm a little worried when I see a recipe that says "add the chick-pea sludge".

I'll have to read more about it.

Happy eating - and by the way - I'm not one of those serious Vegans, with a capital V. I look at being a vegan as a phase I'm going through (3 years now and I feel great). Who knows - one of these days when I'm old enough I might decide to go on a - Whiskey Steak diet.