Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Last Pepper

This is the last pepper from a plant I grew in a container this summer. They were nice to look at but not nearly as hot as I expected, since the picture on the plant tag showed an exploding firecracker. I don't know what variety they are. They were very colorful ranging from green, yellow, orange, purple to red.

They taste like a sweet red bell pepper. I'm guessing that they needed more direct sunlight and warm nights to fully mature - than we have over here in the Pacific Northwest or else I started them late - or they are some variety of a sweet pepper.

I bought plenty of hot peppers this summer from a farmer in the Yakima valley that comes to the local farmer's market. I made some hot sauce by blending habaneros, scotch bonnets, simple sugar, and vinegar and also froze several batches of chopped peppers for use this winter.