Friday, July 06, 2007

No Egg - Egg Salad Sandwich

Jo's Coffee in Austin serves a vegan egg salad sandwich that I wanted to try and recreate.

My recipe is simple -

Drain and cube a container of Firm Silken Tofu (you don't want to use anything too firm since you are trying to match the mouth feel of hard boiled eggs).

Add - Mustard(s) - (I used a couple of different types), Vegenaise, Sea salt, Pepper, Diced Onion, Diced Dill Pickle, and Magic Salt Free Seasoning (optional - I used it because someone gave it to me and I like the blend of seasonings). You can adjust the Vegenaise to mustard ratio to come up with the taste you like.

Basically make an egg salad the way you normally would but substitute tofu for eggs. Some people like celery, dill, black or green olives, chives, green onion, celery seed, celery salt, paprika..etc., in an egg salad.

Serve on toast with lettuce if you like.

In my cooking world, an egg salad is a potato salad without the potato - so if you feel like making a potato salad just peel and boil some potatoes - allow them to cool, then dice and throw them in your egg salad.