Sunday, October 19, 2003

Jimmy Buffett - Omelet Recipe - Chai Recipe - Green Hat Black Bean Soup Recipe - Gary Snyder

Hi what's you doing up so late?

Can I get you a cup of coffee or a cup of warm milk?

How's it going?

My football picks ended up Army and WSU a push at +6 and +10, Air Force a loss and Navy a win. I better not quit my day job.

I love the late shift, nice and quiet.

Ladies choice everybody dance.

I'm reading a Pirate Looks at Fifty. Jimmy Buffett writes good words and songs. I saw him in 1977 at the Arbor day celebration in Missoula. He was with Heart and Jerry Jeff Walker. That was a fun party. My good friend Tim was just out of the Coast Guard and we traveled across Montana to get to the concert.

Do you know how to make an omelet? Everybody should. Some people put water or milk in the eggs...but I don't see a need. The key is to whisk the eggs to the point where they start to get air mixed in and use a hot enough pan. Once you get the omelet down you can move into the crepe or other more advanced forms of egg mixtures cooked in an omelet pan.

Get your ingredients out.
Whatever you like in your omelet...eggs, cheese, mushrooms, chili, olives.
Start heating your small frying pan/omelet pan
Add some oil (or butter if you are careful...butter burns easy...you can mix a little butter and oil if you like)
Whisk up a few eggs.
Put them in your omelet pan/small frying pan.
Shortly thereafter put the cheese, mushrooms, chili on top
Let it cook until the sides start to pull away from the pan and you can fold it over
Let it cook a little longer

Serve with toast and depending on your personal preference hashbrowns, bacon or sausage.

I think what would be good right now is cup of chai. Not that Oregon chai they sell in espressos stands and stores...some real Indian Chai.

In India tea is called chai. As far as I could tell chai is made with black tea and some special spices steeped in water buffalo milk. I don't know the recipe for it but I can tell you how to make it.

Go to India
Visit some hospitable people
They will serve you some chai
They may use water buffalo milk

Talking about India made me remember I was going to put down a recipe for lentil soup. To me the beauty of lentils is that you don't have to soak them over night like beans. If you want to make a good hearty cheap soup quickly, lentils are a good choice. I think the basic things that go with lentils are onions, carrots, tomato, chicken, garlic.

In a soup kettle/pan
Sautee chicken cut into bite sized pieces.
Or skip the chicken and just go vegetarian.
Sautee onions, garlic, carrots
sAdd the lentils, tomato (fresh, sauce, diced or whatever you have) and water to more than cover
Simmer until lentils are tender

One other soup I like is the green hat black bean. I made that name up because you cover the black bean soup with a green hat made of cabbage leaves if you use purple cabbage it is pretty too...or you can mix purple and green if you are into that sort of thing. The idea is to make a lid with the cabbage leaves and let them steam/cook on top of the black bean soup mixture.

Soak some black beans overnight (if you are in a hurry get some cans at the store)
You can sautee chicken or beef if you like but the beans have plenty of protein already.
Sautee onions, carrots, garlic in your soup pot
Salt and pepper to your tastes and depending on how salty the stock you will use is.
I like to salt and pepper things while I sautee them so you have little flavor pieces of onion, carrot.
Add your black beans
Cover with stock (to me that's dried chicken or beef boullion mixed fairly strong...but not too salty)
Simmer until the beans are soft
Cut a green or purple cabbage into quarters
Layer the green or purple (for purple hat soup) on top of the beans
Simmer until the cabbage is done.

Peace to all.

I love this poem from Gary Snyder.

For the Children

The rising hills, the slopes,
of statistics
lie before us.
the steep climb
of everything, going up,
up, as we all
go down.

In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it.

To climb these coming crests
one word to you, to
you and your children:

stay together
learn the flowers
go light

Gary Snyder, from Turtle Island