Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Right Now: What Are You Doing?

This might be a good page to pull up every so often when distractions are keeping you from attending to something more important.

Right now I'm thinking it's already Wednesday - where does the time go? When I was younger the weeks seemed longer. Later in the week TGIF is more like TGIwtF...as in Thank Goodness It's what the Frak? Friday already...

Speaking of the word frak - B and I watched the last two episodes of Battlestar Galactica last week. That was a good series, I recommend getting the DVD's and watching it if you never have. BSG is mentioned in the April 6th New Yorker magazine - Talk of the Town section, in an article by Mike Peed. Seems that Edward James Olmos (Admiral William Adama) and Mary McDonnell (President Roslin) visited the U.N. for a conference on how BSG might "inform the international body’s approach to some problems of the day: terrorism, torture, religious conflict."

The article concludes with this -

"....Horejsi teaches literature at Columbia (some classicists see the show as a retelling of the Aeneid). “ ‘Battlestar Galactica’ repays you the way great literature does,” she said. “The show is as complex, as sophisticated and nuanced, as any kind of text that I’ve encountered, and the discussion tonight was on a par with the academic conferences that I’ve attended.” She went on, “My students always laugh when I recommend ‘B.S.G.’ to them. Whatever. They’re eighteen."