Sunday, December 23, 2007

Starbucks Saved His Life

Sitting here on this quiet gray Sunday morning with rain drops on the window, listening to the heater gently hum as I enjoy a cup of coffee, thinking how calm my life is these days. I can be slightly perturbed, but things don't upset me like they used to - at least not this week.

I can't even get myself worked up over the fact Comcast decided to delete Cspan-2 from the local cable lineup. I still get lots of shopping channels though - so I can see someone with a countryboy/girl accent tell me I need to call in quick to get a good, no great, make that a once-in-a-lifetime, deal on loose gemstones, a giant collection of low quality pocket knives, or a fantasy sword with a dragon embossed on it.


______________________________



I saw a man, interviewed on the CBS television show Sunday Morning, who at 53 was fired from his advertising job at a firm in New York City. He ended up losing his job, his big house, his wife and his health. Now he works as barista at Starbucks, has his health, lives in an attic apartment - and has never been happier.

He's written a book called "How Starbucks Saved My Life", and Tom Hanks wants to make a movie about him.

It's interesting how getting knocked off balance can be a good thing. Sometimes I wonder if I'm little too balanced these days.

The more I think about it though I know that this is just a phase - no matter how comfortable and cozy I am now, something will come along and knock me off balance. That's the way life works - nothing lasts, things change over time, people grow up, live and die. I can't, and don't want to, do anything right now other than exactly what I'm doing - and that for now, is a wonderful life.

______________________________